My thoughts on local-use addresses

I decided I will come out of "lurk mode" and try to express my thoughts
about local-use addresses.  I have been following the thread on the IETF
general mailing list regarding site-local addresses.  The following
things may have already been discussed, as I only just recently
subscribed to the IPNG mailing list.

I think all unicast addresses should be "global", instead of having
any scopes at all.  I believe this would promote the whole E2E concept.

Local-use addresses seem to be redundant.  Why would one need to address
a host on the same site or same link using an address other than its'
global address?  (Sorry if that is confusing)  One scenario I thought of
is back-end servers (ie: database servers) that do not need to be
globally accessible, but other front-end servers (ie: web servers) need
to communicate with these back-end servers.  This is what a private
address space would be for, and you would likely have multiple
interfaces on seperate networks (one public, one private) to segregate
the traffic.

I suggest that:

a) The site-local and link-local address scopes be abandoned.  As I
stated above, I believe they are redundant and therefore not needed.  If
you want to address all of the hosts at your site or on your link, why
not use multicast?  Are there any practical cases where one would use
these scopes instead of global addresses that a private space or
multi-cast would not solve?

b) I believe that RFC 2462 (IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration)
already deals with this, but I will mention it anyways; the link-local
address space (or possibly some other space) be used as a fall-back for
auto-configuration purposes.  If a host is not configured with a static
address, and does not have DHCP client capabilities or the host does not
receive a response from a DHCP server, then an auto-configured
address could be assigned to the interface.  I think this would make it
so that "it just works" if someone wants to plug a bunch of IPv6 hosts
on to a LAN and use some type of neighbor disocvery mechanism to let the
hosts find each other and start communicating.

c) The link-local address space (or, again, some other space) be made
available as private address space.  It would for use by administrators
of networks that are not planning to be connected to the Internet but
still need an address space to use.  Is this not the intention of RFC
1918 addresses as well?  Is there any reason to not provide a private
addres space?  I don't want to start discussions about NAT because
that's not what it the private address space will always be used for.

Comments and constructive critisism are appreciated.