Re: A follow up question

Tony Hain wrote:
Most of us -- MOST OF US -- have a clue. That you refuse to recognize it and respect those opinions is unfortunate.

Where is the document that shows what requirements need to be solved?

How about starting with the IPng archives?! They're actually more persistant than, say, an internet draft, anyway.

How would you correlate the stated need from the network manager for:
Stable addresses, both during ISP changes, and for intermittently
connected networks.

I wouldn't. I would decompose the network manager's stated need for stable addresses. That's what responsible people do when they see a customer requirement with a bad solution. But see below...

with:
Why is it that stable addresses are so necessary? Could it be because renumbering is painful? Could that be one source of our ills?

&

Fix the underlying problem. Making renumbering easy. If we don't do that, IPv6 is no better than Ipv4.

???

While I agree that we need to get at the underlying problem, handwaving
that easy renumbering will solve it is not helpful. In many cases the
requirement for stable addresses is being handed to the enterprise
network manager by unreasonable Sr. VPs who want to lower their internal
development cost & don't care about anything more than getting their
product out the door. Claiming that easy renumbering will solve that
internal business issue is just an IETF fantasy.

This strikes me like the old adage, "You're safe if you buy IBM" (no offense to IBMers). You were until you weren't because the processes you used were outmoded, only you didn't think about it. Frankly, the fantasy here (and I love your charged use of words) is that IPv6 provides any -- ANY -- added benefit to the customer base.(*) That same Sr. VP ought to be asking why he is spending what will for the forseable future be a huge amount of money to cut over to IPv6 when IPv4 will suit the vast percentage of enterprises and users just as well as IPv6, given their intended use of SLs, as stated by some of those very same network managers.

Eliot

(*) Indeed I question whether even the mobility features will be properly taken advantage of, given the stated network manager need for stable addresses reconciled with their need for Internet connectivity (i.e., NAT). What do you then use for your MN address? If that mobile node wants to have a stable identifier, then it's using site-locals. Nonsense? But if they don't use site-locals then they have all the same problems those network managers are complaining about, and you don't have a stable address for applications.