Re: A simple question

OK, I AM intrigued by this:

--- Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> wrote:

> I don't think we're likely to be able to dispense with ICMP.
> Maybe we
> can find more ways to make it more trustworthy.  Or maybe we
> just need
> to discourage people from filtering it.

Any thoughts on the effectiveness of a BCP that says, message
type by message type and return code by return code, "filtering
this at a network edge does/does not make sense"?

We've been digging our toes in the sand on a Phil Karn proposal
to do TCP far-end link-up notification via retransmitted TCP
packets (for a few years). Architecturally, this is the kind of
thing ICMP is meant for, but I'm told repeatedly that new
ICMP-based mechanisms are non-starters on today's network...

Spencer