Re: A simple question

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 05:22:37 +0700, Robert Elz said:
> What is the danger here, and why do I, the user, care?   What I know is
> that I want me local communications to just keep on working smoothly,
> whatever happens to external connectivity and the addresses I get from
> there.

Right.  You the user *don't* care.

Users are almost never network admins.  And the network admins presumably
care (although with the amount of 1918 leakage we see, that's a dubious
assertion as well).

>   | Well.. all you need to do to fix this is to make a rule that if a
>   | global prefix becomes available, the site-local prefix is no longer
>   | appropriate and must be withdrawn.
>
> Can't possibly work.

How is it any different than any *other* prefix becoming not appropriate
and being withdrawn?

There's this big assumption on the part of the pro-site-local crew that
we "need" a stable address.  I posit that this is a crock, and that
what we *need* to do is iron out the rough edges of IPv6 renumbering
so hosts don't care *what* they have, as long as they have *some*
prefix.