Re: RFC 2418, RFC 2026 and the Tony Hain appeal (was: Consensus on Site-Local Addressing)

At 03:39 PM 4/11/2003 -0400, Scott Bradner wrote:
the point I tried to make in my posting was that I think there
needs to be consensus to change something that has already been
adopted (more so if it was adopted a while back), and that its not
proper for a lack of consensus to keep as a consensus or mandate
to remove - i.e. there should be a barrier to capricious changes of
published IETF specifications

I completely agree. The site-local prefix is document in a RFC (the IPv6 addr arch, currently at PS), and it can only be deprecated by an explicit consensus decision of the WG.

This is why we explicitly asked the group if we should deprecate
site-local addressing.

Margaret