Re: Muttered at the IESG Open Mike...

At 11:11 AM 3/20/2003 -0800, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
give everyone who shows up at an IETF meeting one token, good for 6 months.
require 10 tokens to submit an internet-draft.

the point of posting the draft is to have the discussion you're proposing. What happens in some quarters, as you know, is that someone who has an idea goes around and grabs ten names as a "show of support", and lists them all as authors whether they have read the draft or not. I have found my name on drafts I didn't even know existed. What is to stop folks from claiming the tokens of these folks?

I don't think you want to restrict the influx of internet drafts, at least not drafts related to working groups; that inhibits discussion. One of the really nice things about the IETF is the ability to post internet drafts at will and kick ideas around. Taking them to informational or experimental RFC, or doing a four-week last call, I could see such a procedure.