Re: charging for IETF participation

How about selling IETF-branded swag? Membership cards? Other cheap junk that does nothing but take up space, collect dust, and confer bragging rights as having financially supported the IETF? Maybe even something useful, like yet another canvas tote bag, like people keep getting from their local public TV station. B-)

Someone mentioned auctioning off "points" -- I didn't like the idea of points, but perhaps a fundraising auction would be feasible. Send in your outdated hardware, your polo shirts from companies that have gone bust, whatever, and see what some sucker, er, wonderful donor will pay for it. Another organization holds auctions at practically every major gathering. One of the popular items is $5 bills -- and they have gotten triple-digit figures for them! (Yes, I mean plain ordinary $5 bills, not even with the autograph of some famous or high up in the group.)

Maybe a donation jar? That works VERY well at outreach tables at events, for a political non-profit I'm in....

--
David J. Aronson, Software Engineer for hire in Washington DC area.
See http://destined.to/program/ for online resume, references, etc.