Re: Last Call: Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC) Authorsto BCP

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Frank Solensky wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 11:30, Lloyd Wood wrote:
> >
> > he should have said 'abbreviations'.

> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=acronym makes no mention of the
> abbreviation being pronounced.

That definition begins with 'A word...' Words are pronounced to be
said.

acronym
noun [C]
an abbreviation consisting of the first letters of each word in the
name of something, *** PRONOUNCED AS A WORD **. (my emphasis)

> G.B.Shaw's line about two great countries being separated by a
> common language comes to mind

two nations divided by a common language.

> -- I never realized that English and American had those distinctions
> before.

Sigh.

Do you like quoting dictionary definitions but don't know the
background of how the definitions developed? (Where Samuel Johnson's
tastes vs Noah Webster's and Ben Franklin's counts for an awful lot.)
Are you horribly literal-minded but horribly illiterate?  Can't help
you there.

> Likewise, http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abbreviation isn't
> limited to first letters of words.

Since it's 'acronym' that is generally limited in such a way, this
should not be of concern.

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@ee.surrey.ac.uk>