Re: Last Call: Traffic Engineering Extensions to OSPF Version 2 to Proposed Standard

Suresh,

> > > As for the comment from John Moy (circa July 2001) about the
> > > availability of an inter-area OSPF draft, I do recall responding
> > > that the inter-area draft was assuming additive properties to
> > > TE metrics to advertise summary info. It is a mistake to assume
> > > that all TE metrics can be additive.  Below is a pointer to
> > > the response I sent.
> > >
> > > http://discuss.microsoft.com/SCRIPTS/WA-MSD.EXE?A2=ind0108&L=ospf&;
> > >T=0&F=&S=&P=5937
> >
> > Please look at draft-kompella-mpls-multiarea-te-03.txt, as
> > at least some of the approaches described in that draft
> > do *not* assume additive properties of TE metrics (and do not
> > advertise summary info).
> >
> > Yakov.
>
> Yakov - You are right. The draft does talk about different
> mechanisms the MPLS signaling protocols could use to setup
> LSPs in an AS spanning multiple areas. However, the draft is
> not about inter-area OSPF TE.

The draft is about multi-area TE, as it describes how to solve
the problem of supporting TE in a multi-area environment.

> Clearly, there is interplay between signalling protocols and
> the extent of TE link state data base (TE-LSDB) a node has.
> I believe, scenario-3 is where the inter-area OSPF-TE is in
> place and all nodes in an area have the same information as
> their ABRs do. This scenario presents the signalling protocols
> with fast convergence in settign up an LSP, right.

Just to point out that quite a few scenarios described in
draft-kompella-mpls-multiarea-te-03.txt are supported with the TE
extensions that are subject to this Last Call. To repeat what
Kireeti said already "There is work going on to address multi-area
TE *that builds on this draft*."

Yakov.