Re: naming debates

> > "dns naming debates don't belong on the IETF list."

> Is this really outside the technical scope of the IETF?

No, it's not.  It's just that IETF has discussed this periodically for
many years.   That discussion has produced no consensus, much heat,
little light, nothing new to say, and nothing new to be learned
about DNS operation from such debate during most of that time.
The DNS debate is probably the least productive recurring discussion
we have.

I don't like the idea of ruling technical subjects out-of-scope for
the IETF list.  However I suspect it would be more productive if instead
of repeating the same arguments over and over, those of us with strong
feelings about the subject would put their positions on a web page, and
whenever the discussion crops up again, simply send in the URLs.

There are other debates besides DNS naming for which this would also
be a good idea.

Keith