Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

Thus spake "Einar Stefferud" <Steflist@thor.nma.com>
> In case you have not noticed, one possible solution is to eliminate all
> TLDs other than .COM, which is the only one that you say so may people
> believe exists.
>
> At which point someone will notice that all addresses have a
> redundant .COM (because all the other TLDs have been removed, and
> so the browsers and mail systems will offer to append (or just assume)
> the redundant .COM suffix for you, and voile!...

No, keep the ccTLDs and let each country do with them as they wish.  Most
countries have a hierarchical namespace within their ccTLD, though a few are
flat.

Either way, I'll take 250+ flat namespaces (ccTLDs) over one flat namespace
(the root).

COM is a failed experiment and needs to be closed and/or eliminated.

> All all solved for the minor cost of forcing all non .COM domain name
> owners to find and register a new non-colliding domain name under
> .COM!

While international trademark law is a joke at best, each country does have
a framework in place which can be used to resolve conflicts within their own
ccTLD.  This is a lot easier than trying to manage a single global namespace
using the WTO's trademark "rules".