Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:57:20 +0100, Marc Schneiders said:

> It would make long domain names of the type
> domainnamebargainscheaper.com obsolete.

Why? unless you manage to get 'cheaper.' as a TLD, and create the name
as domain.name.bargains.cheaper. - or am I missing something?

>                                           Using domains will become
> easier.

Empirical evidence indicates the biggest problem is finding the 1 out of 41M
.com domains and avoiding all the typosquatters...

>         Less load on nameservers (incl. tld servers) because of
> typo's.

See the NANOG url I posted yesterday - 98% of the TLD load is borked, and
nothing we do about this will address the issues (in fact, if anything, the
traffic for that part of the 98% due to non-caching will increase).

>         That is just on a practical level. Other improvements
> (probably off topic here) include lower prices, breaking of a cartel.

Notice that you don't get the lower prices and cartel breaking by increasing
the number of domains, you get it by increasing the number of registrars.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer