Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did NotTell You)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, at 14:08 [=GMT-0500], Keith Moore wrote:

> > > Well, it also matters that the set be constrained to some degree.
> > > A large flat root would not be very managable, and caches wouldn't
> > > be very effective with large numbers of TLDs.
> >
> > That's old fiction.  If it works for .com it will work for ".".
>
> well, it's not clear that it works well for .com.  try measuring
> delay and reliability of queries for a large number of samples
> sometime, and also cache effectiveness.

I guess the burden of proof is on those who argue that it doesn _not_
work well.

> let's put it another way.  under the current organization if .com breaks
> the other TLDs will still work.   if we break the root, everything fails.

Since .com was running _on_ the root-servers.net until recently
without problems, what are we talking about?

Naturally there won't be 1 million TLDs all at once. We could start
with a couple of hundreds. That would merely double the size of the
root.