Re: namedroppers mismanagement, continued

Hi -

> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:50:23 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
> To: ietf@ietf.org
> Cc: iesg@ietf.org
> Subject: Re: namedroppers mismanagement, continued
> Regardless of the specifics of this case, I think a good rule would be to
> say that all bounced messages on any IETF list MUST be archived on a
> separate 'bounced' list.  To whom would this suggestion best be directed?

As someone who has maintained a couple of WG mailing lists
for several years, I'd object to the imposition of such a
requirement.  The amount of spam, especially *large* (megabyte
or more) viral messages, directed at WG mailing lists makes
keeping all the trash a highly unattractive proposition.

(Much of the viral spam I see bears the forged addresses
of legitimate subscribers, so I have to resort to other
mechanisms to keep the lists clean.)

 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  SJC-1.3141
 randy_presuhn@bmc.com  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.