Re: Restatement of my proposal from last night's plenary

graham.travers@bt.com wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't make the meeting this time, because of the change
> of date to November, so I don't have the full background to the discussion.
>
> On the subject of "mechanistic rules", however, I do feel happier that the
> pilot of my plane mechanically ( methodically ) checks through a list before
> taking off.  You're right that methodology can't ensure quality - but it can
> help ensure that somebody is checking the quality.

It was more the automatic timeouts I was getting at. I'm in favour
of setting target times, but not of killing WGs or publishing documents
automatically when the timers pop.

   Brian

>         Regards,
>
>         Graham Travers
>
>         International Standards Manager
>         BTexact Technologies
>
>         e-mail:   graham.travers@bt.com
>         tel:      +44(0) 1359 235086
>         mobile:   +44(0) 7808 502536
>         fax:      +44(0) 1359 235087
>
>         HWB279, PO Box 200,London, N18 1ZF, UK
>
>         BTexact Technologies is a trademark of British Telecommunications
> plc
>         Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
>         Registered in England no. 1800000
>
>         This electronic message contains information from British
> Telecommunications plc which may be privileged or confidential. The
> information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity
> named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any
> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information
> is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please
> notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above)
> immediately.

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM
On assignment at the IBM Zurich Laboratory, Switzerland