Re: Note Well Statement (fwd)

At 9:40 +0200 11/9/02, Pekka Savola wrote:
>So, it looks like the message sent on lists is trying to reach those
>participants who have never been to IETF physical meeting and are
>subscribed to a mailing list.

But recall that the IETF's primary form of communication is the
mailing list, not the face-to-face meetings.  That's why the Note
Well is on the lists.

>What I'd find more useful is that people who first post in the lists or
>join them would receive the note well automatically, for example through:
>  - notice in the joining confirmation message
>  - keeping some kind of white-list for people, if person sending a message
>is not there, send him a note well and add to the list
>  - harvest email addresses from IETF lists and if not on a white-list,
>send them note wells and add them there
>  - etc.

Not bad ideas, but resource intensive (especially the last).
Remember that the secratariate body is small and other activity is
performed predominantly by volunteers.

The "Note Well" is a legal thing, to settle a legal problem.  The
logic behind legal activities is not the same as the logic driving
technical activities.  I am sure that there is some notion in the
legal realm of the need to take reasonable steps to forewarn someone
- as opposed to the engineering notion of assuring that someone is
forewarned.  But I do not spend much time studying legal topics.

Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer