Re: Palladium (TCP/MS)

Thus spake "Eliot Lear" <lear@cisco.com>
> Christian Huitema wrote:
> > Your fears appear to be based more on emotions than facts. To the best
> > of my knowledge, the TCP/IP stack that ships in Windows conforms to
> > the IETF standards and interoperates with the stacks that ship on
> > other platforms -- it is certainly meant to. Several Microsoft
> > employees participate to the IETF, volunteering a sizable amount of
> > their time. Microsoft itself has a history of working with the IETF,
> > including providing financial support to the RFC editor through ISOC.
>
> Christian, most of this note sounds like an apology of the form
> "Microsoft is Okay because we give to charity", not because they do the
> right thing.  If Microsoft is doing development on enhancements to the
> stack, this organization has good reason not to trust the results, based
> on past experience (i.e., Kerberos).

OTOH, does anyone have any evidence Microsoft is attempting to "embrace and
extend" at or below the transport layer?  This smells like a reporter's
paranoia.

Microsoft's application protocols (e.g. CIFS aka NetBIOS, Kerberos) are
certainly problematic, but I've heard no complaints about their IP stack in
several years.