RE: Palladium (TCP/MS)

> The IETF is explicitly named in one of the 2 links. And suppose that the
> majority of PC users connected to the Internet stop using TCP/IP and
> replace it with TCP/MS... What would be the role of the IETF in such a
> picture? What kind of influence would the IETF have on µ$oft? What if
> TCP/IP just disappears? Don't WE have to be afraid of an Internet under
> one private monopolistic control?

Your fears appear to be based more on emotions than facts. To the best of my knowledge, the TCP/IP stack that ships in Windows conforms to the IETF standards and interoperates with the stacks that ship on other platforms -- it is certainly meant to. Several Microsoft employees participate to the IETF, volunteering a sizable amount of their time. Microsoft itself has a history of working with the IETF, including providing financial support to the RFC editor through ISOC.

-- Christian Huitema