Re: Security Paradox

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:06:09 +1000, Benny Nasution <bnas3@STUDENT.MONASH.EDU>  said:
> Security always needs to be increased to reduce threats and risks, but
> these threats and risks are the ultimate ęsource of information about
> the quality of its ability. Therefore the better the security is
> developed the less information you will get about how to improve it.

Proper auditing and instrumentation will tell you what's being *attempted*.

Also, note that security is a *process*, and involves making trade-offs.
For instance, my network has well over 30K hosts on it.  Even if I manage to
make 99% of them totally hack-proof, I need to expect an average of 1 host
to be hacked *every day*.  Yes, I could probably harden it so 99.9% were
hackproof so I only had 3-4 incidents a month.  But it's not worth it - adding
that extra '9' would take more time than fixing the hosts.  I'm better off
hardening the 150 or so hosts that are really critical to 99.95%, creating
a document that will let the users get to 98%, and have a "it looks like you
got hacked, here's hints on cleaning up" form e-mail.

The day that things are so secure that we don't get enough feedback so we
have ideas on how to improve the process even more, I will *quite* happily
declare victory and retire.  However, given how *little* things have improved
in the 30 years since the original Multics penetration-test paper, I'm
afraid I won't be escaping before mandatory retirement catches up with me
in about 30 years.

http://domino.watson.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/1e4115aea78b6e7c85256b360066f0d4/fdefbebc9dd3e35485256c2c004b0f0d?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,multics

(If that doesn't work, go to:

http://domino.watson.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/Search