Re: RFC 871

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Bill Cunningham wrote:

> Well I've read RFC 871 like some have wanted me too.
> I haven't seen what I'm supposed to see, can someone explain to me what is
> it's purpose in the TCP/IP discussion? I've noticed they've confused axioms
> which are taken to be true as a ground work for something with Euclidean
> postulates, which are truths to be self evident. No Euclidean postulate has
> ever been proven by another. Geometrically or otherwise.

Think of the OSI layering model as something like the Euclidean
parallel postulate.

It doesn't have to be that way, but it's widely accepted that it
is, and few really appreciate the ramifications of the spectrum of
alternatives (qv hyperbolic and spherical geometries, manifolds etc.).

L.

layering is a spectrum from blue on the wire to red at the
application. tunnelling is frequency-shifting.
Fill the whole world with a rainbow.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@ee.surrey.ac.uk>