Re: Datagram? Packet? (was : APEX)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Caitlin Bestler wrote:

> On 9/26/02, Lloyd Wood wrote:

> >> you sure? take a GOOD look at RFC 791... It is
> >> completely self-describing in terms of getting itself
> >> there and where it belongs in the reassembled datagram.
> >> If the other bits and pieces don't arrive, there is
> >> another matter, but it is at that point a host issue,
> >> not a forwarding issue.
> >
> >I'm not sure that following fragments relying on a bit in
> >another fragment saying 'following fragment' is truly
> >self-describing.
> >
> >(Not having port nos in following fragments would only be
> >a host issue if routers and firewalls never peeked at
> >ports en route.)
>
> So, as originally proposed an IP fragment is a fully
> self-routed L3 datagram.

well, not self-routed; you need routing state. I don't think the
difference between routing table state and circuit-switched state is
all that great; anything beyond hot-potato is fundamentally stateful.

ICMP doesn't work well on fragments either - only on fragment zero.
Following fragments can't be described by ICMP. That's not a host
issue.

Anyway, forget 'datagram'. I'd like to know where use of the
term 'self-describing' for something that requires description in RFCs
and implementations and ridiculous numbers of textbooks ever came
from.

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@ee.surrey.ac.uk>