Re: Datagram? Packet? (was : APEX)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Fred Baker wrote:

> At 01:12 PM 9/25/2002 +0100, Lloyd Wood wrote:
> >A datagram is self-describing; full source and destination. A fragment
> >(IPv4 fragment) may not be.
>
> you sure? take a GOOD look at RFC 791... It is completely self-describing
> in terms of getting itself there and where it belongs in the reassembled
> datagram. If the other bits and pieces don't arrive, there is another
> matter, but it is at that point a host issue, not a forwarding issue.

I'm not sure that following fragments relying on a bit in another
fragment saying 'following fragment' is truly self-describing.

(Not having port nos in following fragments would only be a host issue
if routers and firewalls never peeked at ports en route.)

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood@ee.surrey.ac.uk>