Re: INTERVIEW comments by Conrad on IPv4

Thus spake "Joe Baptista" <baptista@DOT-GOD.COM>
> well what i've heard is that it what we in business call the old screw up.
> they forgot the law while they were handing out address space.
>
> cerf explained it very well.  they are powerless to do anything.  i can
> see a IPv4 union of users coming together.  his exact words were
>
> "The problem with trying to reclaim (re-possess) IP address space is
> enforcement. One has to find a way to stop someone from "advertising" the
> assigned address space in the global routing tables before one can
> effectively re-use the address space. Unless the party cooperates by
> ceasing to advertise the space, assigning it to another party who
> advertises this address space will cause inconsistent routing to one or
> the other of the advertising networks."

Revoking the IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation for the addresses certainly makes them less
functional.  There's nothing stopping anyone from advertising any address space
they want today anyways.  Advertising "revoked" address space is just a special
case.