ICANN, .org & " a total lack of technical due diligence"

Hi Vint,

Carl Malamud has quite a lot to say about integrity at
http://not.invisible.net/signals/bin/000270.shtml

I'd say that engineering without integrity is a bit flawed wouldn't you?

Here is an excerpt from Carl's URL sited above.

While a total lack of technical due diligence is not unheard of in
such procurements, it was also a surprise to see the paper trail
taken at face value in two other areas:

1. When reading a report, it's always nice to know a bit about the
authors. We're not really familiar with the Gartner Group or the MIS
managers who prepared the technical evaluations, so we prepared a
little "getting to know you" presentation. While we've never been a
Gartner client, we were surprised that Gartner did not disclose that
it has had significant business relationships with NeuStar, VeriSign,
and Register.Com.

2. "A demonstrated ability" was shown by many supplicants based on
prior experience in the business. We looked around, but it appears
that none of the reports that document actual performance results of
the established players are on-line.

ICANN's YOUR organization Vint.  Are you going to vote for the
cronyism as documented above?

Your actions in leading ICANN are creating quite a capstone for your
career.  I continue to be surprised that you are willing to be judged
by your seminal role in the creation and leadership of ICANN.

Once again Froomkin has it right: http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=927

Old Internet Thinking RIP
Posted by michael on Friday, August 30 @ 11:13:13 MDT
Contributed by michael

Carl Malamud, one of the sponsors of the IMS proposal for .org, has
posted his response to ICANN's tentative decision to give .org to an
as yet non-existent body to be created somehow or other by its good
friends at ISOC. The essay demonstrates why IMS's hopes, and the rest
of us probably, are doomed.

See, the problem is that Malamud's entire essay is consumed with
irrelevant Old Internet considerations like running code, technical
merit, and whether it makes sense to evaluate a program without ever
looking at it. This IETF-style approach to the problem of finding
reasonable solutions to problems has no place in the Brave New
Internet of today where expensive consulting firms decide that
proposals produced by expensive consulting firms have the most merit,
where merit is defined as producing familiar-looking paper. Only a
dinosaur would have failed to notice that "the ICANN .ORG review
mechanism literally restates the ICANN new open gTLD contract award
order.". Only an ostrich would fail to see that ICANN has learned
nothing and forgotten nothing from the gTLD rollout debacle. Recall
that mere factual errors were no reason to upset the gTLD allocations.

Read Malamud's essay. Don't miss the Grrrrrreat slides. Weep or gnash
your teeth. There's not much else you can do now that the ICANN Board
is preparing to undermine just about every form of outside
accountability that might be brought to bear on it.

{snip}