Re: bandwidth

note that baud as in J.M.E. Baudout is a measurement of the signalling
rate of a communications channel not the data rate. so if you have only
two level (binary modulation) then baud is the same as bps, otherwise it
isn't...

In all instances in the previous two messages you mean Kb/s

joelja

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Benny Nasution wrote:

> As far as I know, telephone line can support baudrate up to 2400 baud per second. So what does it mean 56 baud per second?
>
> Is it not too slow to transfer bitrate of 56k?
>
> Benny
>
> Bill Cunningham <billcu@citynet.net> wrote:
> > I have a 56k v.90 and v.92 modem. 56 bps is baud per second correct, not
> > bits per second. Of course the phone line will only handle 52k but is the
> > difference between v.90 and v.92 in bits no baud?
> > High speed bandwidth is coming to my area. Speeds such as 100-200 bps
> > will be available. This sounds like DSL to me because we already have
> > cable
> > modems.
> >

> --
> Benny B. Nasution
> School of Network Computing
> Information Technology Faculty
> Monash University
> A U S T R A L I A
> +61 401 230 818
> +61 397 696 078
> email: bnas3@student.monash.edu

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but