Re: on UCE: Possible Interest (fwd)

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:22:59 EDT, Donald Eastlake 3rd <dee3@torque.pothole.com>  said:

> The cost is be set by the recipient. They maintain a white list of
> people / mailing lists that can send them mail without charge. They get
> to choose whether to trust the From address or require mail to be
> digitally signed to qualify for white list treatment or allow free mail
> if a special password header is present or whatever. Almost all mailing

Been a while since you worked a help desk, huh? :)

An amazingly large percentage of users have trouble understanding the
"please reply to this message to confirm your subscription" mail that is
sent by most popular mailing list management software.

For that matter, an even more amazing number of these "please reply" messages
bounce because the user didn't configure their OWN e-mail address correctly
(today's favorite - John...Smith@mail..domain...com who obviously needs to
debounce that '.' key ;)

And you want them to cut-and-paste the list address into a form AND get
all the right options set too?  I think you're giving the users too much
credit for possessing operational neurons....
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer