Heartbeat between Router and 3rd party box

Hi,

I need to design a heartbeat  mechanism between our Router and a 3rd party device, that supports IP stack.

The intent is to develop software that monitor the general health of the box by receiving/ and or sending  regular keepalives.

What is the best way to approach this problem ? Any standard protocol that would enable me to hook into ? [ with least processing & most efficiency] .

Worst case, the SNMP mibs at the 3rd part device could be polled periodically . [but this is not performance friendly]

Thanks,

Voreniza

Do You Yahoo!?