Re: Why spam is a problem.

At 12:16 -0400 02-08-14, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>I use a very large variety of techniques to block spam, and I'm
>something like 95% successful. The 5% is starting to kill me, and
>making things substantially more successful than that is likely not
>possible without blocking lots of legitimate mail.

I am using Spamfire. After some personal tweaking of its
settings, it now filters out about 97 % of all spams and
wrongly labels about 0,5 % of non-spam as spam. Because of
the small risk of wrongly labelling non-spam as spam, I
have to manually check the list of spams, but that can be
done very rapidly, Spamfire is doing the bulk of the work
for me.

Spamfire uses a scoring method. The occurence of certain
words or phrases in certain places in an incoming mail
gives this message spam points, for example any occurence
of the word "mortgage" gives 10 spam points. Messages with
higher than a certain level, which I have set as 70, are
regarded as spam. The filters are updated twice daily from
the Spamfire server.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/