Re: Why spam is a problem.

> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

> I use a very large variety of techniques to block spam, and I'm
> something like 95% successful. The 5% is starting to kill me, and
> making things substantially more successful than that is likely not
> possible without blocking lots of legitimate mail.

If you're are getting only 95% with a large variety of filters,
then you should throw them all out and start over.  Two independent
80% filters should be good for 96%.

There is no single silver bullet for spam, but there are things that
help a lot.  There are many tactics that do better than 5% false
negatives (i.e. filter 95% of spam), with varying false positives for
various individual situations.  My personal combination of filters
(which would almost certainly *not* be appropriate for your situation)
does better than 99% (i.e. fewer than 1% false negatives) with fewer
than 1 false positive per month (i.e. fewer than 0.1% false positives).

Perhaps the most important aspect of spam filtering is it needs minimal
participation from the mailbox owner.  To do better than about 60%
false negatives with fewer then 10% false positives, the mailbox owner
must at least be willing to maintain personal white and/or blacklists.
This fact is sort of the obverse of another fact, that if more than
1% of spam targets complained about spam to ISPs (as opposed to the
fewer than 0.01% in practice), then spam would never have been a
problem.

Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com