Re[2]: Why Spam is a problem

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:16:08 -0700 Einar Stefferud <Stef@thor.nma.com> wrote:

> Opt out is not a good spam solution, since in most cases, the opt out
> email address is  generally used to collect good "live" addresses for
> use by other spammers.
>
> So, we have mostly all learned to never reply to an opt out offer.
> I have never seen one that worked, and now I never reply to them.

nor do i.

the theoretical possibility of effective opt-out comes from having the list
managed by a neutral third party with strict controls; bulk emailers would
submit lists to be cleaned. a prototype of a system that might have been
effective was built by Rodney Joffe several years ago.

> To solve the problem, any anti-spam law has to require Opt-IN
> procedures, and documentation of the Opt In actions.  And even then,
> they can fake the opt-in EMail documents.  How many times already do
> you get spam that claims they have your opt-in records.

opt-in is certainly always preferable.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net