Re: Why Spam is a problem

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> writes:
> at least in the US we're extremely unlikely to get legislation that
> imposes substantial civil and criminal penalties, because the DMA wants
> to make spam legitimate, and they have more money (thus influence) than
> geeks do.

I no longer believe that. NPR's All Things Considered, for example,
had a 12 minute three part story on spam this evening, and their view
on legislation seemed very positive. One of the reporters noted that
she'd received a dozen spams today alone. Average people are being
impacted, which means the Direct Marketing Association will soon be
arguing with a torch-wielding mob.

Perry