Re: Why Spam is a problem

Bill Cunningham <billcu@citynet.net> schrieb/wrote:
> I'm no fan of spam but we all get snail mail ads don't we? Shouldn't
> advertisers of a possibly good product be allowed to e-mail adverstise?

There are a lot of differences between snail mail and email ads:

. With snail mail, the advertiser pays production and postage. With
  email, the recipient has to pay his/her own provider.

. Snail mail is expensive enough to regulate the amount of mail you get.
  Email on the other hand is so cheap for the sender that the amount of
  mail you can send is nearly unlimited.

. Snail mail ads can be sorted out more easily, usually even without
  opening the envelope. Email ads provide much less information on the
  outside (i.e. what MUAs usually show in the message list). Most spam
  senders even try to make that as difficult as possible now.

. In some countries, there are institutions that allow recipients to
  opt-out for all commercial snail mail. There's no such working
  solution for email.

BTW, national legislations don't seem to help much. I do get a lot of
national spam (i.e. in German language), although German laws forbid
sending unsolicited email (not explicitly, but the German Bundegerichts-
hof ruled it to fall under unfair competition laws).

Claus
--