Re: IETF announce list and spam filtering

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 04:56:35PM -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> > At 2:52 PM -0400 8/14/02, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > >If our Japanese,
> > >Chinese, and Koreans colleages don't like that, then maybe they ought
> > >to pass laws which prohibit SPAM from being originated in their
> > >countries.....
> >
> > And until the US does the same, should we suggest to folks in those
> > countries that they should use filters that throw away most mail from
> > the US?
>
> If that rule is effective for them, then maybe they should try it.
> Unfortunately, they might find that the rule might have too high of a
> false positive rate.

You've just insinuated that mail originating from the USA somehow has a
higher value than mail originating from Korea or Japan.  Given that most
of the cool stuff happening on the 'net is driven in part by people from
this area, I find that most surprising.

--==--
Bruce.