Re[2]: Why spam is a problem.

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:09:05 -0400 (EDT) Richard Welty <rwelty@AVERILLPARK.NET> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:54:33 -0400 (EDT) "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami
> School of Law" <froomkin@law.miami.edu> wrote:
> > So maybe we need something that a spammer *could* lookup against before
> > sending emails, but can't use the ack/no-ack to get email addresses.
> And
> > then we make failing to do so an offense.  And then start campaigning
> > get this law -- which as it's less Draconian is also less controversial
> > --
> > adopted all over.

> this has been proposed before, and attempts at implementation have been
> made.

having spent an hour thinking about it, perhaps an Informational RFC,
"Requirements for an Effective Opt-Out System" is in order. there are
already two real world examples (Rodney Joffe's system and the DMA system)
from which numerous lessons are already there to be learned.

i'll offer to start one, but surely there's someone better qualified than
myself around to do it.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net