Re: Why spam is a problem.

Actually, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to try to first design a tech
solution that might lead to legislative buy-in around the world.  Really.

Here's a wild idea.  The US is currently on the verge of adopting a
national do-not-call list.  This is an opt-in list in which consumers list
their phone numbers and telemarketers are not allowed to call with sales
pitches.  What we need is a do-not-spam list for email address...which
cannot itself become a tool for spammers (this is the problem with whois -
email addresses there get harvested by spammers).

So maybe we need something that a spammer *could* lookup against before
sending emails, but can't use the ack/no-ack to get email addresses.  And
then we make failing to do so an offense.  And then start campaigning to
get this law -- which as it's less Draconian is also less controversial --
adopted all over.

I presume that plans which depend on intermediaries doing the looking up
fail, since the intermediaries can't be expected to ID what is spam and
what is not.

--
**NOTE: 7/31-8/14 law.miami.edu will have random downtime due to
"network upgrades".  Mail will bounce, and www.law.tm will 404.**

		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
                      -->It's very hot here.<--