Re: Why spam is a problem.

I am a little afraid to mention one thing I do with spam since I
agree there is not a magic bullet.  Nor do I think that any government
agency has the wherewithall to handle it.  But I do note that in the
USA the Federal Trade Commission encourages people to send
examples of spam to them.  I do so in my filters in the hope that
at least it will help indicate the severity of the problem.  I automatically
forward spam to uce@ftc.gov in the hope that it will raise awareness
of how seriously spam is affecting the use of email.
Article: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/04/spam.htm