Re: Why spam is a problem.

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On 13 Aug 2002, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > I currently get something like 150 to 200 spams a day. That is not a
> > misprint. I use tools to nuke most of it, but some still gets through
> > -- luckily not much.
>
> I also get several hundred spams a day - many megabytes.
>
> I'm slowly working on an idea (not yet clearly formed) to constipate the
> TCP stacks of those sending spam.
>
> The core aspect of the idea is to make my TCP stack as near-dead as
> possible, without actually being dead, to incoming spam.  That will cause
> spam transfers to take orders of magnitude more time than they do today.
[...]

That's an interesting idea; it has a few IMO unnecessary complexities, but
it accomplishes the most important thing: making sending spam "cost more"
(for any definition of 'cost') for the sender.

In this case the added cost would be more computer resources, less spam
sent rather than money; but that would be an improvement still.

I don't believe we will be able to be able to send bills or really "pay"
for sent messages, at least in the near term: that just requires too much
(both technical, legislative and administrative) infrastructure.  But
something to make spammers' acts more difficult would possibly help in
throttling the amount of spam.