5:194 INC.....Re: 0:212 BIZ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wonko_The_Sane" <teknopup@BIGVALLEY.NET>
To: "ietf" <ietf@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 1:33 AM
Subject: Re: 0:212 BIZ

> Why does ome have to pay for domain names?    Ok, guess I am too much romanced
> from the fidonet days when you can be listed for free.
>
> Need to free it up, too capitist oriented. damages communities.
>
> -Wonko

Many companies want to pay for domain names. They want to pay to have
their nameservers properly managed. In some cases, they package the entire
process in with their hosting and other Internet services. Also, someone has
to pay for all these people to be flown around, first-class, to I* society meetings.
0:0 .ARPA is a very expensive domain to maintain.

If you want to help encourage the free name approach, you might want to
check out MOX.

http://www.MOX1.com
http://MOX.INC.new.net
or
http://www.MOX.INC

Other places to look are....
http://www.NameSlinger.com
http://www.New.Net
http://www.NewRoot.com
http://www.Name-Space.com

.ONLINE will be getting a second Registry in September.
That is also a popular new TLD. It will be useful for the people
starting "virtual ISPs" where they assume that people have an
always-on, IPv4 connection, with a dynamic 32-bit address for
a site-prefix, and then expand the address space using that.

http://www.icann.org/comments-mail/icann-current/msg00342.html
10514 INC
9264 ONLINE
7288 NET
6472 USA
4481 GROUP
4101 WEB
3891 TECH
3077 UK
2762 DESIGN
2570 SYSTEMS
==========
http://www.adns.net
CHICAGO, July 1, 2002

ADNS is pleased to announce that The AtlanticRoot Network (ARNI) has picked ADNS to provide domain registry services for its
top-level domains BIZ, COM2, ETC, NOT and ONLINE. ADNS will take over registry operations today, July 1, 2002 at 00:01 UTC.
===

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space