Re: Correcting an incorrect assertion. Was: Re: delegation mechanism...

>Caitlin asked:
>
>However, isn't this a political discussion?
>
>The technical issues are whether you can have a single name
>space without a single algorithm/authority for resolving
>conflicts, and the mechanism(s) for distributing that
>information.
>
>Debating the first point quickly resembles discussions of
>square circles and perpetual motion machines. Everytime it
>is pointed out that the lack of a single algorithm/authority
>would mean that there was no longer a single name space the
>topic shifts and has a tendency to focus on the *identity*
>of those currently in charge of that namespace.
>
>All of which is irrelevant.
>
>I would suggest that those who believe ICANN is a problem
>should spend their time writing their congressisonal
>representatives. It is not a technical issue.

Larry Lessig has shown his books Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace
and  in the Future of Ideas that you attempt to pretend that laws and
politics and economics have no effect on technical issues at your
peril.  You may want to study your  Lessig before you tell the rest
of us to write our congress critters.

But look, I can't impose ideas on anyone so I really don't wish to
debate the issue.  it quickly turns into way too much of a black hole
for gobbling up time.  After four years of observing  ICANN I will
say that we are now seeing sea change in the attitudes of many people
who have long been willing to give ICANN the benefit of the doubt and
now are no longer willing to do so.