Re: Trees have one root

> > things don't stay in the cache forever, and there are various
> > reasons why cache entries can go away before the TTL has expired.
>
> To the degree that this is true (which it is), it is also true for the
> existing ~250 TLDs.

yes.

> > no.  a few hundred million hosts using (on average) two dozen popular TLDs
> > will generate twice the load on the roots as the same number of hosts using
> > (on average) a dozen popular TLDs.
>
> That only holds true if the number of queries also doubles.

no, all that is necessary is that there be a single query for each
of the "popular" TLDs at each resolver for every time the cached NS
record for that TLD at that resolver goes away.  (that's what I mean
by "popular"). so an increase in TLDs can cause the load on the root
servers to increase drastically without the number of end-system
queries increasing at all - all that is needed is for those queries
to exhibit less locality of reference than before.

> > read the statement again.  *someone* has to decide whch TLDs are "handed out
> > ".
> > we can argue about the criteria that should be used to influence such
> > decisions, but there are still decisions that have to be made.
>
> There are policy decisions which have to be made which control how the
> process goes, certainly. But there is absolutely no reason that ICANN
> needs to decide on which specific TLDs are created.

*somebody* has to do it, and that *somebody* is inherently going
to be under a lot of pressure from conflicting and often powerful
interests - and hence that *somebody* is going to be controversial -
whether or not that *somebody* is ICANN.

Keith