Re: Trees have one root

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

>Thus spake "Einar Stefferud" <Stef@thor.nma.com>
>

>>In fact, if you look around the Internet, you will see that every
>>Intra-Lan and Extra-Lan has its own private root servers with
>>subsets of the total set of available TLDs.
>>

>Very few corporations (and no ISPs, AFAIK) run their own roots.

Enh...there is a sense in which internal DNS servers may be considered
roots.  For example, I name the hosts on my home LAN out of
"local.thibault.org", which is not visible from the outside.  This sort
of split DNS is easier than lumping all my names under "thibault.org"
and maintaining two separate copies of the zone files.

It does mean, though, that, conceptually, my DNS server is like an
alternate root server, in that it handles queries for a domain that
can't be found if you start at the root.  The fact that my server
performs recursion, and an alternate root server does not, is a
performance decision, not a fundamental difference.

(On the other hand, Einar's wrong in saying that *every* LAN has a
private root server--for example, some universities don't impose any
inside/outside division at all.)

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke@centivinc.com                  |