Re: DNS based URI without any set access semantics?

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:45:00 EDT, Keith Moore said:

> All naming systems start with some context; otherwise they'd be trying to
> impose a tree structure on the entire universe.  restricting DNS URNs
> to the real DNS is a reasonable design compromise.

Agreed.

The part I obviously am unable to get caffeinated enough to understand is
what purpose the timestamps serve - there's *no* way to know what the
value of turing-police.cc.vt.edu:01July2002 was (don't bother with 'dig',
that will get the the IP address of its docking station, which changed
recently - the laptop's been seen at lots of different IP addresses).

Or is the intent *NOT* to provide something that's resolvable/usable, but
to provide an audit trail of "the URN as it resolved at timestamp FOO" (a
la the Wayback Machine)?
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer