Re: DNS based URI without any set access semantics?

>   - it uses DNS to gaurentee uniqueness

The DNS does not guarantee uniqueness outside of a TTL;
you need a timestamp to accomplish this.

>   - next is a domain name in *small caps*

Do you mean lower-cased?

>     - a standard httpish path per URI specification.

There are a lot of "does this match that" rat holes here.
as an example, are:

pkg://clarkevans.com./
and
pkg://clarkevans.com/

the same?  How about

pkg://clarkevans.com/data-type
and
pkg://clarkevans.com/data-typ%BC
or
pkg://clarkevans.com/data-type%bc

Saying something other than "httpish" may be useful here.

> Examples:
>
>    pkg://clarkevans.com
>    pkg://clarkevans.com/data-type
>    pkg://clarkevans.com/2002/my-data
>
> The end goal is (a) to have a DNS based URN and (b) not have
> this URN imply any sort of access mechanism (http,ftp,etc.)
>
> For XML-DEV people...  What do you think?   Pretend for a moment that
> this is 1997 and XML is just about to emerge.  Would something like this
> have helped?   Please limit comments to what the URI change will impact,
> not about general problems with XML namespaces and such soap boxes.
> Ok.  Now, given today, if it took a while to catch on would it improve
> the situation (mod other namespace problems)?  If not, why?
>
> Anyway, if you are interested, I'm going to attempt to carry
> out this conversation over on the ietf's discussion list at
> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/index.html
> in a manner independent of XML.  I'll be observant of replys
> to the xml-dev list, but I'm not at all interested in the
> xml-namespace soapbox.  ;)

The URI mailing list may be a better home.

				Ted Hardie