RE: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation toP roposed Standard

At 11:39 AM 7/3/2002 -0500, COLES, RICHARD J. (JSC-EV) (LM) wrote:
>I just wanted to be sure that everyone knew how important FAX is to NASA
>(and, I suppose, to other agencies of the Federal government).

Right.  Folks often do not realize that even Telex is still a critical
infrastructure service, for portions of the world.  My guess is that we are
looking at 10-20 years before fax is truly relegated to a minor
role.  Fully replacing well-established infrastructures takes a very long
time, no matter how quickly a new one emerges.

One reason for doing fax over the Internet is for cheaper and faster fax
service, but another is to integrate the fax and email communities, as much
as is reasonable.  (Personally I have a third goal, which is to provide
email with a target service level that is more demanding that Internet mail
has provided until now and is known to be useful for business; with fax we
get that, and we do not need to debate the philosophy of business
communications.)

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.850.1850