Re: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation to Proposed Standard

At 05:20 PM 7/2/2002 -0700, ned.freed@mrochek.com wrote:
>I think the determining factor needs to be how clients will actually handle
>recipients with differing capabilities. If the least common denominator is
>going to be the dominant approach (and I suspect that it will be)

no surprise that I agree.

However...

>  If, on the other
>hand, messages tailored for a each recipient is going to be the norm, then
>VRFY is the correct approach.

If the sender is concerned about optimizing for each recipient, they can
get that effect by reducing to a single RCPT-TO per DATA.

So it is not as pretty as the separate command, but it permits roughly the
same mode of operation.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.850.1850