Re: Birds of a feather (BOF). Use to be: RE: XML Configuration BOF at IETF54

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:09:24 EDT, Craig & Nancy Williams <cwilliams97@charter.net>  said:
> ......where does BOF come from?  I understand the meaning but why is it used
> here?

A bunch of techies all interested in XML at the same place at the same time
would probably be considered a flock together of birds of a feather, no?

I think the usage dates back at least as far as early SHARE/GUIDE/COMMON
meetings - Eric Raymond's Jargon File has an entry saying it dates to
SHARE in the early 60s, but I suspect it goes back to the IBM7094 in the
late 50s...

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/BOF.html

If anybody has better etymology on the term, please let Eric know. ;)
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer