Re: Global PKI on DNS?

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:09:09 PDT, Peter Deutsch said:

> You don't need a unique root if you're willing to relax the prior
> constraint that you absolutely must prevent name conflicts. I know that
> voicing this idea is considered an indictable (if not excommuncable)
> offense to many folks in this community, but frankly the prospect of
> such collisions as an alternative to the current mess just doesn't seem
> to me to be such a horrible alternative.

I'm sure you'd be pleased if half the replies to your mail bounced because
there's no 'pdeutsch' at the OTHER earthlink.net.  Of course, your mail
to keydist@cafax.se probably bounced too, as did isdf@isoc.org, because
you got the "wrong" versions of each, and wanted to send to the OTHER one.
25% of the URLs mailed to you wouldn't point to anything in YOUR DNS.

Of course, typosquatters would love not having to wait for people to make
a typo....

But hey - if you think it's preferable to the current mess (which is
mostly political rather than technical), just remember that it's usually
unwise to use a technical solution for a social problem....

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer