Re: rfc 3271

On Wed, 01 May 2002 00:44:33 EDT, Bill Cunningham <billcu@citynet.net>  said:
> My personal chief concern right now is if they begin taxing products bought

I'd be more worried about the *paperwork* involved than the actual
tax...

> and sold over the net. This thing the FBI is rumored to have a carnivore

It's not a rumor.

> box. Do the ISP's have to let them hook them up to this thing?

Well.. you know.. there's this thing called a subpoena..  Usually
kind of hard to ignore them. ;)

Clued ISPs already have networks instrumented to trap the sort of
things that Carnivore catches (now *that* should make you think
for a moment, too).  Carnivore is targeted at the less-clued ISPs,
where hooking it up once would be a major benefit.  Of course, the
problem then becomes "How do you make sure it's only capturing the
data it's supposed to?" (Read  http://www.epic.org/crypto/scarfo/murch_aff.pdf
for a good example of how hard it is to only record the data that
you're supposed to - and then ask yourself how it would have played
out differently if the FBI had decided to be a bit less careful
about following ALL the rules in that case...).

/Valdis