Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

Tim and all,

Tim Kehres wrote:

> From: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>
>
> > > With respect to the second above issue - I am very aware of what
> happend -
> > > some of our people sent single directed messages (unsolicited) to
> parties
> > > they thought might be interested in what we do.  They were single, short
> > > messages, sent from real people on a one on one basis.  They were sent
> with
> > > valid headers, through our servers, and only one short message was ever
> sent
> > > to anyone.  We don't deal with unsolicited bulk advertising.
> > >
> > > I just have not had the time or energies as of late to set the records
> > > straight.
> >
> > The "straight record" of the messages archived by Google is that they were
> > unsolicited, more than one and substantially identical, and therefore
> > "spam" or "UBE" by the definition held my most informed people.
>
> They were indeed mostly identical, as is common when trying to make initial
> contact with new groups of people.   They were however never sent more than
> once to a specific individual, regardless of wether or not the recipient
> replied.

  You make a key point that it seems Vernon neglected to mention in his
response above.

> > In addition, because promoted or advocated a commercial product, they
> > were "UCE" or spam by the second most common definition.
>
> Are you suggesting that if the content were different, say promoting a
> personal sex site, that they would have been acceptable?   Somehow I suspect
> that this is an ineffective metric by which to measure content.

  I would also have to wonder by Vernon's stated second most common
definition, whatever that really means, would apply to IETF, ISOC,
Church affiliations, ICANN or other non-commercial and charitable
orgs send out that I receive from time to time are also UCE?  I think not.

> > The motives claimed by the senders are irrelevant.  Whether the
> > unsolicited bulk mail is sent one at a time or with a single SMTP
> > transaction is irrelevant.  Whether the headers are valid or you steal
> > service from third parties instead of only your spam targets is also
> > irrelevant.  I and most informed people think that the contents of
> > the messages are irrelevant except to determine whether they are
> > substantially identical.
>
> The behavour that bulk emailers exhibit is substiantly different from
> happened in this case.  I've outlined in detail what our people had done -
> if you look at the bulk mailers and their practices it is not difficult to
> determine many key differences.   In fact if you look at the various forms
> of legislation around the world, including in the US at the moment, they
> take into consideration issues pertaining to the authenticity of the
> messages (forged headers), theft of service (unauthorized use of third party
> systems) and similar issues.  Going by memory, some also take into
> consideration the harassment factor, or how many times a single message is
> bombarded against an unsuspecting individual, however sadly, from what I can
> read, the current proposed US federal legislation into this does not go this
> far.  In short the legislation is trying to go after the bulk mailers
> without killing the Internet as a medium for electronic commerce.

  This is my understanding as well.  Perhaps than Vernon is suggesting
that such legislation does not go far enough, and is advocating a form
of censorship?

> One common thread of all the legislation that I've been able to get
> reference to is the preservation of the right to be able to responsibly use
> the Internet for business purposes.  Please don't think that I'm trying to
> make a case for the mass mailers here - I am not.   Under your model, it
> would be improper (or even illegal) for an individual or organization of any
> type to make first contact via email - regardless of how it is being done,
> and for what purpose.   This is what I disagree with - there should be
> reasonable ways in which people / organizations can continue to use this
> medium to establish communications.

  Very much agreed!

> If we shut down our ability to expand our horizions by shutting out all but
> our established friends and business associates, the Internet will become a
> very boring place to live in.

  Yes something like a "Friend of the IETF" social club or garden club...

>  Somehow a proper balance has to be
> established, which should start with a solid and unchanging definition of
> what spam is.  I've heard your definition of spam, and countless others over
> the years (I've even participated in some of the anti-spam groups a while
> back), and the only consistent thread of all this was that nobody could
> agree on the most basic issue of a commn definition.   It's hard to make
> much real progress in this area when you're going after a moving target.
> And yes, the definition of what spam is, really *is* a moving target,
> regardless of how firmly any of us believe in our own particular
> interpretations.
>
> I believe that this is an important issue that needs to be discussed,
> however I also suspect that it is not in the context of the charter of
> either of these lists.   As I stated in an earlier message in this thread,
> if anyone can point this off to a more appropriate forum, I'll be happy to
> shift my replies there.

  It seems to me this is a good a forum as any, and likely needs to be
discussed here specifically given the range of responses thus far...

> Best Regards,
>
> -- Tim

Regards,
--