Re: Guidance for spam-control on IETF mailing lists

[James M Galvin: Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 08:40:44PM -0500]

> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Joe Touch wrote:
>

>     These are destination-only addresses, used for forwarding. I tried this
>     with Mailman (presumably a "modern" application?), to which I had
>     subscribed touch@ieee.org; it held it for approval. My options as
>     moderator are: approve, reject, defer, or discard. No option for 'add to
>     list of approved senders' - that requires more steps, for ME (not under
>     the control of the sender). There are no options for the user to be able
>     to add or control aliases.
>
>     Or is Mailman not modern?
>
> Mailman is modern.  Like its counterparts you can have an "authorized to
> submit but do not receive" functionality.  I believe the issue you're
> raising is that mailman, like its counterparts, does not have an
> integrated means to manage the exception list.

I subscribe to a couple of different lists that (ab)use mailman's
"temporarily disable delivery" attribute for this purpose.

Someone with N addresses they'd like to post from simply subscribes to
the list from all of them and sets the disable delivery flag on N-1 of
them. Mailman seems to define temporary as "until I unset this attribute".

No admin intervention required.

-Patrick